Sunday, June 2, 2013

Back On My Gym Grind

Sometimes inspiration comes from peculiar places.

After browsing through Deadspin's RSS feed on my Google Reader, I found this blog entry by Sean Newell that hit home: A Treadmill Is The Vestibule Of Hell: Recovering Fatass Soundtrack.

Although I don't consider myself to be 'recovering' yet, I found this article to be both amusing and uplifting.

I often find myself searching for ways to divert my brain when working out and most of the time it is music. The rare times I have forgotten my headphones and iPod have been torture.

My issue is the act of dragging my bones to the gym on a consistent basis, because once I'm there I do go hard (as the kids say these days).

For me, building the routine is so much easier said than done.

Waking up at 5 a.m. to go before work, the time to go during lunch or the energy to go after a stressful day is a challenge that I've been trying to overcome ever since college.

In high school, I was religiously in the weight room. Having that goal of earning all-conference honors during the upcoming season and performing at my best on Friday nights on the football field fueled my psyche and willed me to showing up in the weight room every day after school or during the summer.

I need to find something tangible like back when I was in high school. So I will be tweeting my weight again to make my progress public. I tried this a couple years ago and didn't follow through, but I believe this will be a crucial part in helping me build a proper fitness routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment