Tuesday, June 11, 2013

When Twitter Goes Wrong

Twitter is awesome! I never 'surf the net' anymore. Why do that when information, from sources that I select,  comes directly to me? And Facebook is good, too, but tends to be more laced with political diatribes geared toward trying to sway the opinions of others, but oftentimes turn into nonsensical ramblings that lead to personal attacks. The 140-character limit on Twitter goes a long way to making people be more precise with their thoughts or direct people to a link that can easily be ignored, if you so choose.

But no matter which platform(s) you enjoy using, all social networks can be equally dangerous when you use them.

There are numerous examples of social media mistakes costing people, but I give you exhibit A: disgruntled Daytona Cub third baseman Ian Stewart.

First off, perhaps my biggest concern is that I don't think he could have picked a dumber handle: @BeefStew2 ... I'm not making this up. @BeefStew2? This is a 28-year-old professional athlete ... and he chooses @BeefStew2? I'm speechless.

Anyway, on to the tweets that got him in trouble late last night/early this morning.


"I think dale [Chicago Cub manager Dale Sveum] doesn't like and He's running the show"

He just comes off as extremely immature, not a seven-year baseball professional. Clearly, Stewart didn't think things through before hitting the 'Tweet' button. 

"I meant they might as Well release since I have no shot of a call up ... let me sign elsewhere."

The rational and adult thing to do is call 'dale' and tell him in private that you're not happy any more and you would like to be released. But the ironic thing is that the Chicago Cubs Director of Operations Theo Epstein offered Stewart the option of being released --- and in turn becoming a free agent. But Stewart chose to collect his $2 million to play for the Cubs' AAA club, where he is hitting a whopping .168. [read sarcasm].

He's putting the Cubs in a bad spot with his poor play. Who can they talk into signing him when he can't even perform in Daytona? [Cubs facing a similar situation with right-handed reliever Carlos Marmol]. 

Obviously, I wasn't with him, but I can only assume that he was drunk at the time. Why else would you vent in a public forum like Twitter, especially if you're a pro athletes?

So just a quick PSA, think twice about posting to your social networks the next time you're 'out on the town.' 

Consider yourself warned. Y'all be easy.

- Mike 

No comments:

Post a Comment