Saturday, May 11, 2013

Just Start Writing

I've decided to make a concerted effort to write a lot more. My goal is to post a blog entry every from now on. The image that sticks out in my mind is that scene in 'Finding Forester' when Jamal Wallace (Rob Brown) visits William Forrester's (Sean Connery) office ... Four quotes in this scene struck a chord.

"The first key to writing ... is to write, not to think."

I feel that I get too wrapped up in what people will think of me after reading what I write. And I think that gets in the way of my creativity. Hell, I have not sat down to write for fun for a while ... and that's a shame because I know I'm good. 

"Why is it that the words we write for ourselves are always so much better than the words we write for others."

While I enjoy my job, most of the time I write what others want me to write, whether it be a game recap, media guide, feature stories. Don't get me wrong --- that's what I'm supposed to do. The main purpose of this blog has evolved into a personal outlet for myself. I can write about whatever I want here --- except collegiate sports because that would be a conflict of interest --- but other than that, it's on (as the kids say).



"No thinking ... that comes later."

This further elaborates the first point so I know I have to work on just 'letting go' and let my thoughts come out on paper. Easier said than done, but the only way to get better at it is to practice.

You write your first draft with your heart. Then you re-write with your heart." 

Now comes the more conventional part of the 'writing process.' I actually enjoy going through it. My work becomes a puzzle and it's up to me to make all of the pieces fit together. Shuffling paragraphs, deleting adverbs, dissecting run-on sentences (I write those frequently), etc., is a rewarding aspect of writing.

As Marshall Henderson would say, "Y'all be easy."

- Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment