Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Summer. Summer. Summer time.

With the Cub game washed out on the south side (Too bad because Wellington Castillo got a hold of a two-run homer off Chris Sale and Edwin Jackson looked solid on the mound, but it's all for naught) and Game 7 of the NHL Western Conference Semifinals less than 24 hours away (Go Blackhawks!), I thought tonight would be as good of a night as any to look at some concerts coming to Salt Lake City this summer ...

#kickinupdust Summer Tour with Slightly Stoopid and Atmosphere on July 27 at Usana Ampitheather

I have been a fan of Atmosphere ever since my freshman year of college (10 years ago!), but have never seen Slug and Ant perform live so this will be cool!


And I saw Slightly Stoopid about three years ago (Usana, again). I had never heard of them before so I was pleasantly surprised by the mix of rock and reggae, which reminded me of Sublime.


Also, on the same day at the Gallivan Center is the Summer Jam with hip-hop acts like ASAP Rocky


Tyga



Then a mere three days later on July 30, the Unity Tour with 311, Cypress Hill and G Love and the Special Sauce take the stage at Usana.

I'm not the biggest 311 fan, but they have a few good songs and I'm sure will put on a good show.

My favorite act of the Unity Tour will be Cypress Hill. I knew the lyrics to 'Insane in the Membrane' in elementary school and haven't looked back since ...


And who could forget G. Love and the Special Sauce. I'll be waiting for them to play 'My Baby's Got Sauce.'

Oh, and don't forget the $5 Twilight Concert Series at Pioneer Park. (Although, it could be argued that the people watching is the best part!)

It may seem weird, but I always liked this song by Erykah Badu, who will be there on Aug. 8 ...

The Twilight concert I'm looking forward to the most is Kid Cudi on Aug. 22. One of my favorite songs of his just came up on Shuffle on iTunes ....

Then MGMT (who interestingly enough is featured on Pursuit of Happiness with Kid Cudi) wraps things up on Sept. 5. Can't go wrong with a little 'Electric Feel'!


I'm not sure who this band 'To Be Announced' is, but they must be good if they're playing seven shows! ... But seriously, it should be interesting to see if it is just a marketing ploy to build up excitement or if they truly don't have anyone lined up yet.

Feel free to chime in with whatever concerts you're pumped up. Should be a good summer in SLC! Ya'll be easy.

- Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment