Thursday, May 2, 2013

Spring Movie Review

Now that every weekend is not owned by my job (the academic year is winding down a bit so home events are fewer and fewer between), I've been able to get to the movies a lot more so here my quick takes on the last four I've seen.

Disclaimer: By no means do I claim to be a movie expert, but these are just my own thoughts. I am easily amused and pleased with movies so it's not my intention to blast everything. I can only remember a few movies that I haven't liked, let alone hated (e.g. The Tree of Life, the most recent Karate Kid, Knight and Day). Feel free to call me out if you and disagree and let the debate commence ... :)

Oh, and I'm perfectly aware of my shallow tastes in movies. When I plunk down my $8, I want to enjoy myself and don't want to over think things.

So anyway, on with the reviews ....

42: This was a really a cool movie. Best I've seen this spring. I loved the attention to detail made in an effort to bring the viewer back to the '40's. It was an uncomfortable, yet powerful, scene when the manager from Philadelphia kept heckling Mr. Robinson. Although, it did seem like the 'time warp' effect by totally skipping over his time in Montreal. I understand that the main focus of the film should be on his first year in Brooklyn and Major League Baseball, but it just made me want to know more.

I keep telling people that it's difficult to tell the whole story of Jackie Robinson in two hours and eight minutes. I couldn't help, but do a quick Google search and found a lot of cool little factoids that were' left out, like the owner of the Brooklyn Dodgers Branch Rickey making Mr. Robinson a deal to not retaliate for three years --- but after those three years up, Mr. Robinson began to retaliate, being taunted with a black cat   by two fans, etc.

And there was even a movie 'The Jackie Robinson Story' that was made in 1950 --- starring Jackie Robinson. Cannot even imagine how 'trippy' of an experience that would be --- MAKING A MOVIE ABOUT YOUR OWN LIFE! And I just saw a blog where they called Robinson a bad actor --- PAUSE.




Oblivion: One of the more original movies you'll see. I thought it was a cool story with a lot of action. I'm not the biggest sci-fi fan, but as long as you're willing to "just go with it," I think you'll enjoy it.

Quick side note: TC (I guess Kanye West calls him) is playing a character named 'Jack Harper', but in December he was just in a movie called 'Jack Reacher.' Wouldn't his people insist on changing the name a little? Just sayin' ...



Now we enter the 'meat head' portion of the reviews ...

Pain and Gain: Yes, it was as 'brotastic' as it appeared in the previews ... AND IT WAS AWESOME! There were some funny lines and some pretty cool action sequences. And even a few twists in the plot ... Still can't believe it was a true story!



G.I. Joe Retaliation: This brought me back to my childhood. I was a big fan of the action figures as a kid so it was cool to see those characters come to life --- even though they did not shoot lasers from their guns. But the cameo by Bruce Willis as the original Joe more than makes up for that.



Up next, I want to go see Iron Man 3 and Olympus Has Fallen ... Gimme a shout if there's anything else I'm missing.

- Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment